Can you install a toilet yourself? When it comes to repairs around the house, it can be challenging to identify what is considered DIY and what is best left to professionals. Installing a toilet falls somewhere in the middle, depending on your skill level and experience.
Here is what you should know before you start or look for a professional plumber.
What is the Process?
To install a toilet, you will need a few basic tools, such as a tape measure, a level, a hacksaw, an adjustable wrench, and a screwdriver. You will also need to purchase the toilet, wax ring, mounting hardware, and Teflon tape.
- First, turn off the water supply to the bathroom, and flush the toilet to empty the tank and bowl.
- Next, remove the old toilet by loosening the bolts that hold it to the floor and lifting it off the flange.
- Clean the flange and the surrounding area to ensure a secure and leak-free installation.
- Place the wax ring onto the flange, making sure it is centered.
- Set the toilet bowl onto the flange, lining up the holes in the base of the bowl with the bolts in the flange.
- Carefully press down on the bowl until the wax ring is compressed, ensuring a tight seal.
- Insert the bolts through the toilet’s base and into the flange, then secure them with the nuts provided.
- Attach the tank to the bowl, lining up the holes and securing them with bolts and nuts.
- Connect the water supply line to the fill valve in the tank, and use Teflon tape on the threads to prevent leaks.
- Turn the water supply back on, and test for leaks.
- Finally, install the toilet seat and lid, and adjust the water level if needed.
It’s worth noting that some toilets may require different installation steps and tools, and it’s advisable to consult the manufacturer’s instructions for specific guidelines. If you need more clarification about the installation process, it may be best to hire a professional plumber to do the job for you.
Should You Do It Yourself?
There are some benefits to tackling this project on your own.
- Save on labor costs — Installing a toilet yourself can save you money on labor costs because you will not have to pay a professional plumber to do the installation for you. This can be significant cost savings, especially if you can complete the installation successfully.
Additionally, you can purchase the toilet at a discount if you buy it and install it yourself, rather than having a plumber purchase and install it for you.
- A sense of satisfaction and pride — Installing a toilet yourself can give you a sense of satisfaction and pride for several reasons. First, completing a home improvement project on your own can be a rewarding experience, as it allows you to take control of your home’s upkeep and improve its functionality.
Second, installing a toilet can be a relatively straightforward task, providing a sense of accomplishment in completing the task. Third, by installing the toilet yourself, you can ensure that it is done to your exact specifications and preferences, giving you a sense of pride in the finished product.
Finally, if you have a tight budget, doing it yourself can give you a sense of financial accomplishment that you have saved some money and put it towards other things.
- Suit your needs and preferences — Choosing to install a toilet yourself gives you control over the toilet’s placement, style, and features because you are not limited to what a professional plumber can or will install.
This means that you can choose the location of the toilet in your bathroom, select a style and design that you prefer, and choose features that are important to you. This can include things like a low-flow toilet to save water, a comfort height toilet for ease of use, or a bidet toilet seat for added hygiene.
By installing the toilet yourself, you can take the time to research and compare different options to find the toilet that best suits your needs and preferences, rather than having to rely on a professional plumber’s availability and expertise.
Or Hire Professionals?
Professional plumbers have the experience, skills, and knowledge to install a toilet correctly for several reasons.
- Extensive training and experience — Professional plumbers have experience installing various plumbing fixtures, including toilets. This allows them to quickly and efficiently install a toilet, ensuring it is properly sealed and functioning correctly.
- Technical knowledge and skills — Installing a toilet requires properly connecting the toilet to the existing plumbing, including ensuring that the water supply and drainage lines are connected correctly and that the toilet is adequately vented. Professionals have the technical knowledge and skills to do this properly.
- Tools and equipment — Professionals have the tools and equipment to properly install a toilet, such as a level, pipe wrenches, and Teflon tape.
- Credentials — Plumbers are licensed, insured, and held to certain standards, guaranteeing the knowledge and experience to execute the job correctly and safely.
Whether to install a toilet or hire a professional plumber depends on your skills, experience, comfort level with plumbing, and budget. It’s always good to weigh the pros and cons before deciding.
Quick Quality Plumbing Can Help
The team of professionals at Quick Quality Plumbing has over 40 years of combined plumbing experience and is ready to help with all your plumbing needs.
At Quick Quality Plumbing in Utah County, we provide the most efficient, reliable plumbing services around. With decades of experience in plumbing repair, installation, and maintenance, we’re the plumbers you want to call, whether planning a bathroom renovation or dealing with a pipe burst in the middle of the night.
If you or someone you know needs quick and quality plumbing services in Utah County, call us today at (801) 763-7835 or contact us for more information.